Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mourn their passing

While strolling through my collection this morning, I came across an album I hadn't listened to in some time: Grab That Gun by The Organ. Now I know the band name sounds dirty (you pervs), but the music is great. Imagine an audio cocktail of equal parts The Smiths and The Cure with added dashes of Joy Division and The Go-Gos. Combine this with a creative sound that is their own and you've got The Organ. If you don't believe me, check these out.

Brother
There Is Nothing I Can Do
No One Has Ever Looked So Dead

See what I mean?



Anyway, I dragged the CD with me to work and am thoroughly enjoying it. I came across these ladies back in 2005 when I saw them with The Raveonettes and The Dirtbombs at Southpaw here in the Land Of Brook. I'd been looking forward to seeing them again, but they headed off to Europe and did considerable touring over there. Listening to their CD again, I thought I'd checkout what they were up to. Leaping instantly onto the Information Superhighway, I discovered something sad.

They've called it quits.

Yes, their website announced in December of last year that they were breaking up. It's really too bad. I was hoping to hear more from them. It's always a pity when great music dies an early death (The Organ, 3rd Bass, My Bloody Valentine, etc. etc.) while stuff like The Stones and Aerosmith continues to roll on.

Such is the human race.

Keeping me from dying early:

The Organ - Grab That Gun
(twice as bright, half as long)

The Haunted - The Haunted
(step back or suffer the consequences right now)

Entombed - Left Hand Path
(monumental death metal monument)

Terminal Sound System - Watcher
(bleak, dark, and glittering)

Tom Waits - Bad News Out Of A Pretty Mouth
(why pick and choose when you can have it all)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home